Ramblings from a boring night shift.
Reasons why I believe CB radio is a great way of communication.
- You will be able to use it during a disaster when the mobile phone network and power grids are down. This is the biggy for me, a simple cheap cb station can save your life.
- You can keep in touch with your friends without a monthly bill.
- You will find new friends and contacts both locally & internationally.
- You will actually be communicating verbally with other human beings, too many youngsters are addicted to their pals in their pocket, their whole life is ran via the internet. Everyone knows where you are, what you're eating and too much of your business and mostly it's people you don't know and wouldn't want to know either. The next time you're out for a meal, at the movies or in the shopping mall look at people, they hardly communicate with each other anymore but they ''Like'' their mate's status of ''checking in'' to the same place they're at.. It's mental!
- You'll learn about electronics, weather conditions, signal propagation, basic health & safety, you'll take an interest in the space, the sun, aurora and so on.
- It's fun! You still need to be sensible and don't be a bad operator. If you treat the radio right & other users around you the you will have fun for years.
- There's no licence to apply for.